A short message to my readers:

Welcome to my blog! As you will soon discover, this is a personal blog, mostly about my life, where I've been, and where I'm going. Many of my readers may well be people who have known me for a long time, and at some points during this journey, certain facts or events may make those people feel uncomfortable. I do apologize for any of these instances in advance, and I humbly ask all of my readers to be kind and censor themselves.

In short, any rude, angry, or "disappointed" comments are discouraged.

Keep in mind that this is an artistic process, and with that in mind, constructive criticism of the work itself is encouraged.

Happy reading!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Room II

(You are at part II of a series)


The bed that I have now has been a progression. When I first began sleeping in the room, I had a double bed, which used the bed frame I now use, only extended to its full width. In the search for MORE ROOM, I decided to eventually consolidate to a trendy, brand-new loft bed, which I convinced my grandparents (yes the same ones) to purchase for me. It was treacherously close to the ceiling, and, unfortunately, the ceiling fan. Wherever its placement, it was always within a foot of the fan’s swinging death-blades. Only when I finally became tired of climbing UP to bed every night and wedging myself underneath my bed to finish homework did I realize what a mistake I had made. To add insult to injury, I was reminded by my mother that in my joyful nonchalance at acquiring a cool loft bed, I had left the old double bed mattress outside through the last 8 months.

In my pursuit to find the perfect bed, I slept on a futon mattress, a foldable couch (complete with phonebook box spring) and finally, a small twin bed, wedged in the NW corner of my tiny room.

I didn’t always believe that my room was tiny. When I was younger, I fancied my room like my own apartment. The environment was perfect: my room was the furthest away from the house, with only a long, dark, concrete hallway connecting me with civilization; I had a kind of stoop leading into my room, as I suppose it would have been a mistake to place my room on the foundation like the concrete hallway; and, only a few years into living there, I acquired my own phone line. Technically, the phone line was produced by me squirreling away an old cordless phone from my grandfather (the same one) and running a phone cord from our dial-up internet line, through the vent, into my room.

Until just recently, I had a huge L-shaped glass desk that hogged one corner of the room. My mom and I found it at Officemax and decided that it was a decent deal and bought it. it was the first “some assembly required” item that I constructed entirely by myself, with the assistance of the ever-helpful Allen wrench. Just before I sold it, it was covered (COVERED!) with papers, photos, pencils, pens, art supplies, books, computer parts, monitors, and (very recently) a terrarium with my 2 pet mice. When I made the decision to sell the hulky desk, all of those things, (except the mice, of course) went into boxes that now reside on the floor where the desk once was.

At the end of my bed is a shelving unit that is a relic of my loft set. It is the home of most of my knick knacks, along with the large bulky set of drawers I use as a bedside table and a tall skinny set of rainbow drawers behind the door. Each is full of things I just can’t bear to part with. Maybe someday I can catalogue them for you, future children.

No comments:

Post a Comment